Another WordPress Update? Already?
Thirty minutes ago, a new WordPress revision was born. Enough with the little revisions. It’s actually a whole new point revision! This brings WordPress from 2.0x to 2.1! Didn’t I upgrade to 2.07 only a few days ago? At any rate, new features of this new release code named “ELLA” named after “Ella Fitzgerald” the famous jazz singer include…
- Autosave makes sure you never lose a post again.
- Our new tabbed editor allows you to switch between WYSIWYG and code editing instantly while writing a post.
- The lossless XML import and export makes it easy for you to move your content between WordPress blogs.
- Our completely redone visual editor also now includes spell checking.
- New search engine privacy option allows you take you to indicate your blog shouldn’t ping or be indexed by search engines like Google.
- You can set any “page” to be the front page of your site, and put the latest posts somewhere else, making it much easier to use WordPress as a content management system.
- Much more efficient database code, faster than previous versions. Domas Mituzas from MySQL went over all our queries with a fine-toothed comb.
- Links in your blogroll now support sub-categories and you can add categories on the fly.
- Redesigned login screen from the Shuttle project.
- More AJAX to make custom fields, moderation, deletions, and more all faster. My favorite is the comments page, which new lets you approve or unapprove things instantly.
- Pages can now be drafts, or private.
- Our admin has been refreshed to load faster and be more visually consistent.
- The dashboard now instantly and brings RSS feeds asynchronously in the background.
- Comment feeds now include all the comments, not just the last 10.
- Better internationalization and support for right-to-left languages.
- The upload manager lets you easily manage all your uploads pictures, video, and audio.
- A new version of the Akismet plugin is bundled.
So in a nutshell, faster, better and now with the ability to AutoSave your posts in the event of mid blogging disaster. Did I mention Spell Check? Sounds like a winner to me! I’ll probably sneak in the upgrade in the middle of the night. Those of you who are keeners can go get it right here. I just hope all my cool plugins still work. I guess we’ll see after the upgrade 😉